"Blade Runner 2049" In a Word? Stunning.


I'm aware I'm a little behind the game for this one.  However, in my defense, I've had to make time for all possible haunted houses in addition to religiously watching football, baseball, and Game of Thrones.  Plus, for some reason, I've taken up recent evenings seeing utter and complete garbage.  This has all proven to be rather time-consuming, so I've successfully avoided homework to accommodate, but that comes with its own issues.  Additionally, I had to put myself through the original Blade Runner in preparation for this.  So, after completion of the latter, I made the well-anticipated journey to see Blade Runner 2049 the other day, and I'm certainly glad that I did.

As a preface, it's notable that I was unaware of the original Blade Runner's following, and I'm still yet to understand it.  That movie was a box office disaster in the '80s, and is still far from enjoyable today.  I dare you to look me in the eye and try and convince me that if Harrison Ford hadn't played Deckard it would still be memorable.  Hollywood needs to get it through their heads that one good actor does not a good movie make.  However, despite my confusion and skepticism about this sequel, my enjoyment of it was not hindered in the least.

While watching, it was immediately apparent as to why critics have been praising this movie so highly.  From the opening scene to the end, there was hardly a scene that wasn't completely stunning.  For me, the most praise for this movie comes from the awe-inspiring visuals and landscape shots that--although almost entirely CGI, were no less than brilliant.  I distinctly remember thinking to myself that, even when there was little happening on-screen, I simply couldn't look away.  I'd even be as bold as to say that the visual effects of this movie rivaled that of Max Max:  Fury Road.  Aided by the theater experience, I was simply stunned with every shot for nearly 2 1/2 hours--including the impressive score and sound editing.  The cinematography and screenplay was gorgeous--and I certainly expect and hope for an Oscar nomination to these cinematographers.

I also thoroughly enjoyed this film's storytelling.  Even in a science fiction fantasy taking place over 30 years in the future, everything that was explained and portrayed was surprisingly realistic; and it had such a smooth flow to it.  Maybe it's because of my exposure to the painfully hokey portrayals of the "future" found in '80s movies like Back to the Future II (which shouldn't be misinterpreted as a cheap shot--that movie is awesome), but Blade Runner 2049 is the most non-fictional-feeling science fiction film since Interstellar (before the 5th dimension bookcase scene, of course).  I'm not saying I didn't notice minor plot holes or continuity errors, but the attention to detail of the plot and the story was outstanding.  Every necessary character and concept had just the right amount of development.

Now, this movie is brilliant--no doubt about it.  However, I can still see how some movie-goers would find this to be not-so-enjoyable.  Because the fact remains that the narrative has one of the slowest rhythms I can remember.  Many audience members--particularly that of a younger generation--could call this movie "boring" due to it's slow development and length. I will say that it is a movie for those who are in a position to appreciate good film-making and aren't looking to find mindless entertainment (not that there's anything wrong with that).  I often find myself in circumstances where I just want to to turn my brain off and enjoy some cool action or dumb comedy, and that's perfectly fine.  All I'm saying is this is not a movie that caters to such desires.

I will admit this movie could have easily been 40 minutes shorter, but this is a rare case where I didn't mind a run-time of almost three hours.  If I'm being totally honest, there were moments where I thought to myself, "All right.  Move along."  My only other possible issue was that I was hoping for there to be more Harrison Ford in it.  He didn't show up until roughly halfway through the movie, and even then he seemed oddly less than intricate.  I will say, however, that Ryan Gosling and all his supportive counterparts were outstanding.  Accuse me of being a fanboy all you want, but Ryan Gosling is a terrific and beautiful actor.

While not everyone would find the same enjoyment out of this movie that I did, I loved it; and am giving it an 85%,  clearly within the range of being


Theater Worthy

(for the non-drowsy)








Comments