"The (Decent) Greatest Showman"


I'll preface this by stating that two preexisting factors affect my opinion of this movie.

1)  I don't like movie-musicals.  I have no problems with musicals--Broadway, plays, the theatre, you name it--and I obviously LOVE movies.  However, I believe that the two have their own separate places; and, frankly, have no business being combined.  Obviously score and musical tracks are key to good movie-making (save No Country for Old Men), but movie-musicals are another ball game.  So, due to my unfavorable view of movie-musicals, my review comes pre-tainted.

2) I'm a tough critic.  Hard to believe, right?  Additionally, I heard WAY too much positive feedback about this movie prior to my viewing it.  I'm always slightly suspicious of well-loved movies, and I'm additionally suspicious when I hear only positive things about it.  For one, I have a trigger in my mind that goes off and says, "K, it can't be that good" (even though I'll admit I have been wrong before).  Secondly, hearing that a movie is "the best"--or a derivative of the phrase--gives me mental expectations that are rarely able to be met.  I call this Frozen syndrome.  (By the way, if you ever try and tell me Frozen or Moana is better than Tangled we're going to have a serious problem.)

That said, this movie isn't terrible.

I noticed a lot of critics weren't fans of The Greatest Showman, and there was a large discrepancy between the user-ratings and those of critics.  What cheesed off the critics, I'd imagine, is that almost nothing about the movie is accurate to the story of P.T. Barnum.  I mean, it is accurate in the sense that they portrayed his cliché rag-to-riches success story...Oh, and they got his name right.  Other than that, though, the rest is what we'd call "a director's choice."  Half of the characters didn't actually exist, and no conflict added to the movie was accurate.  But, frankly, that's not a huge deal to me, I just thought you all should know.

Historical accuracy or no, any joy from viewing The Greatest Showman stems from the musical numbers.  I'm not particularly into musicals to begin with, but the music in this movie is outstanding.  Almost every song is repeatable and enjoyable, and were executed in a fabulously elegant manner.  I'd say listening to the soundtrack would suffice, but the choreography is too impressive to miss.  I know more about dancing than most people would think, and I must say it was spot-on.  Additionally, the costumes were impeccable.  Plus, I'll admit I'm not always sure subliminal messaging in movies is always good policy, but the takeaway and message of the music and story is quite valuable.

Even though the previous paragraph is all true, good music does not a good movie make.  Everyone that saw this and said they "loved" it appear to be confused about what exactly they fell in love with.  If, like me, you judge the movie as just that--a movie--then, no, it's not too great.  All the interesting meat of the story was exasperated in the first 45 minutes, leaving the remaining hour to feel forced, random, and ironically unrealistic.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself for almost an hour, but the second and third acts of the movie were disappointingly disjointed.  It becomes very obvious what is accurate about the story and what is not, and any "conflict" is outrageously impractical and "resolved" in the same manner.  Oh, and if you're excited about Zac Efron being in it, he's literally useless and only shows up for, like, a third of the movie.  But, I mean, his character didn't even actually exist anyway, so what's the difference?  Despite the disappointing latter half, though, the music (thankfully) didn't decline in quality.

Yes, I'll admit the music is fabulous, and is the source for the beloved nature of the film.  Hugh Jackman is outstanding across the board, and truly brought life into the film.  The tip of my hat goes to the man and his performance.  We'll just disregard the fact that P.T. Barnum was an ugly old man when he started the circus and Hugh Jackman portrays a young beefcake.  But, even though that is the case, the movie as a whole is not at quality levels.

So, in short, The Greatest Showman is tremendous music in the form of a half-decent movie.

However, I will say that one would enjoy this movie much more by seeing it in the theater as opposed to seeing it at home.

If I were inclined to be generous--and I'm not sure why I'd be inclined to be generous--I'd give this movie about 61%. So I will.  That puts it on the ragged edge of being sent to either the theater or Netflix.    So, I suppose that deems this as being 


Theater Worthy











Comments