I Liked "Love, Simon." Wait, Did I Just Say That?


Believe me, this review will prove to be a bigger surprise to me than you.  Hollywood has really began to tank in many regards; and, after watching the Oscars and seeing SJW Splash (aka The Shape of Water) win best picture, it doesn't appear we're anywhere close to improvement.  Quite the opposite, as a matter of fact.  Although, after seeing Love, Simon, I'm left believing there may be more hope for the future of Hollywood than I thought. 

Actually--no. There's less. 

Even so, I'll stay true to my word and critique Love, Simon strictly by its merits.  That said, I can't rip it apart, because its merits are anything but lacking.  Additionally, the agenda was obvious, but it wasn't pompous or pretentious, which was a welcome surprise.

For starters, it's a coming-of-age story that actually manages to grasp a realistic portrayal of modern-day High School students.  I feel like so many writers for teen-oriented movies nowadays are hopelessly stuck in the 90's watching reruns of Full House.  However, I give props to the writing team for Love, Simon, because their portrayal of High School relationships, problems, and situations was as entertaining as it was accurate.  The students and teachers weren't drawn-out clichés, student dynamics weren't obviously fabricated, and almost all the conversations were believable (or at least close to it).  I've only been out of High School for about three years, and a lot of it still resonated soundly with me. 

Additionally, the cast was excellent.  There were a couple recognizable faces; particularly Simon and Leah, also known as the older kid from Jurassic World and Hannah Baker from 13 Reasons Why.  By the way, if you actually liked Jurassic World, I have one question:  What is wrong with you?  Anyway, I didn't recognize much of anyone else besides Jennifer Garner and Josh Duhamel, but they play Simon's parents and are left on the back-burner for most of the film.  But, even to that capacity, they did a great job. 

The rest of the students played their roles incredibly well, and truly grasped the mentality of what it would be like to be in High School in 2018.  Not every character was necessarily integral to the plot, but they all played their parts excellently.  You'll dislike some characters, empathize with some, and find some hilarious; all because that's exactly what they intend for you do to.  I also became particularly impressed with Nick Robinson (Simon) throughout the film; because, even though he isn't gay, I felt like anyone who actually is would find resonation and appreciation for his character and performance.  Mind you, that is an observation from a heterosexual person, so do with it what you will.

As far as the script goes, it was surprisingly funny.  Really, it was.  The humorous dialogue was realistic, intelligent, and timed quite well.  Serious moments weren't constantly down-played by meaningless gags, slapstick comedy was almost nonexistent, and lines were executed terrifically.  Indeed, it is an exemplary script for how a coming-of-age comedy/drama is meant to be.

If I had to find a criticism, it would be that I felt like the studio cheated a little bit with it deliverance of the "big reveal" ending.  The plot centered around Simon's relationship with a fellow gay student via anonymous emailing, and the reveal of his identity felt as cheap as it did exciting.  For instance, I was really glad it turned out to be who it was, but the way they kept you guessing and the way they backtracked on themselves left me thinking, "Hey, you can't do that!  That's cheating!  Ugh--Rude."

Also, Simon got a parking spot in the very front of the school every day without showing up super early or anything of the sort.  I'm sorry, but school parking lots are battle conditions, and leave everyone involved fully capable of taking the life of a fellow human being.  Preferably a stranger.  It is not that easy.  Also, they drank a bunch of iced coffee (which is disgusting, but that's another matter) throughout the movie, and I didn't see them pay for it once.  Seems suspicious to me.

All in all, though, it's not hard to enjoy Love, Simon.  People like me will enjoy it because it's simply a well-done, charismatic, and entertaining movie.  Additionally, it's meaningful and significant enough that those of you who look for something "more" in movies (for some reason) will also thoroughly enjoy it.  It finds a way to be pleasantly significant without being overtly irritating.  Indeed, it just might be something in which just about anyone can find redeeming qualities.

Trust me--this will surprise me just as much as it will you.  But I'm giving Love, Simon a 77%, deeming it within the realms of being


Theater Worthy

Comments